Our daily lives can be so hectic at times, it’s up to us to find ways to de-stress, not just for health reasons, but for our sanity as well.
The alarm blares and we drag ourselves out of bed. That’s assuming we hadn’t hit the snooze button a couple of times and that we had actually gotten the recommended eight hours the night before,
In today’s hectic world, most of us barely get six hours a night, let alone eight. But there are some steps we can take to ensure that it doesn’t become detrimental to our health.
Benefits of a full eight hours of sleep.
While awake, our bodies are on autopilot, yet constantly working to keep us moving. Our bodies are very good at multitasking, making sure the lungs are working properly to bring oxygen into the body and distributing it where it’s needed. Making sure that our hearts are pumping blood and carrying nutrients through our bodies.
Not getting enough sleep can weaken our immune system. Compounds called cytokines are released by our immune systems as we sleep. Cytokines are proteins that move through the body during sleep and help repair any damage caused by trauma, inflammation and infection. Lack of sleep can be a contributing factor to many diseases.
Practicing some type of stress-reducing activity before bed can help promote a deeper, more restful sleep. Activities like yoga or meditation. Something that helps wind the body down. I would also recommend not eating or drinking anything containing caffeine at least three hours before going to bed.
Enter a much-needed spa day – Benefits of a therapeutic massage.
When we’re tense, our bodies produce unhealthy levels of cortisol, a stress hormone that can contribute to many health issues such as tension headaches and weight gain, just to name a few. Getting a massage can help reduce tension in the body, thereby reducing our stress levels.
I have taken to getting weekly massages and I’ve noticed a dramatic change in my energy levels, as in I have more of it. It’s also helped reduce my aches and pains. I was in a car accident a couple of years back and my body hasn’t been the same. Getting regularly scheduled massages has helped to decrease my pain.
So it stands to say that getting regular massages are very beneficial for you.
Benefits of getting facials
A facial is a type of massage therapy used on the face. It helps clear up pores. It removes dead skin and can leave your skin looking and feeling younger, softer and cleaner.
Basic Steps of a Facial:
- If it is your very first visit at a location, you’ll have a consultation. Basically, you and your skin care specialist, also known as an esthetician or what we usually refer to as a beautician, will be discussing your skin concerns, skin goals and health habits. Health habits play a part on the way our skin look.
- Depending on whether you’re getting a body massage as well, you will disrobe and lay under a blanket, face up. If not, then just removing the top portion of your clothing will suffice.
- If it’s your first visit at that location, your beautician should perform a skin analysis to determine your skin type; oily, dry or combination. Or whether you have very sensitive skin and some treatments should be avoided. They will use products that compliment you skin type and may recommend a skin regimen for prolonged skin care.
- Then, your beautician will cleanse your skin, removing dirt, oil and makeup if any.
- A steam machine is then used to direct warm steam to the face. This step may be optional depending on your skin type.
- Then an exfoliant is used to scrub away dead skin cells. At this point, some may choose to get a chemical peel. There are different types of chemical peels and the type used will once again be based on your skin type. Or your desired outcome.
- A chemical peel may be used to target black spots. I use a mixture of extra-virgin coconut oil and baking soda as an at home scrub, 2:1 ratio. 2 teaspoons of coconut oil for every teaspoon of baking soda used.
- After your skin has been exfoliated, whiteheads and blackheads are then removed. This step is somewhat uncomfortable and painful.
- You are then given a facial massage which stimulates your facial muscles.
- A mask is then applied. There are many different kinds to choose from, including skin brightening or anti- aging.
- Depending on where you go, at this point you might get a shoulder massage or a scalp massage, sometimes both.
- As the final step, a toner may be used followed by a moisturized.
I treat myself to monthly herbal facials. I choose the herbal facial because it contains herbs that are good for the skin and it can be used for any skin type.
Let’s not forget about the Mani Pedi.
A Mani Pedi is a manicure and a pedicure combo. You get your nails and toenails cleaned and polished. I usually go with a clear varnish during winter months, and a bit of color in the summer.
Regular Mani Pedis will keep your hands and feet smooth. You also get a relaxing massage on the hands and feet which aids blood circulation.
So there you have it, a spa day can include all of these relaxing treatments or you can do one, depending on your budget. Relaxation is key. The more relaxed you are, the less stressed out you’ll be.
So go treat yourself to a Mani Pedi, a facial or a full body massage. Your body will thank you for it.