Losing weight doesn’t have to be a chore or a bore. There are fast, easy and simple weight loss tips that can be used daily in order to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle. A little goes a long way.
Life is a marathon not a sprint. Sometimes the journey is worth more than the destination. Along the way, you will learn things about yourself you never knew. You can discover that you’re breaking point is way past where you thought it would be.
Benefits of Drinking Water
- Increase your brain power; The brain is composed of 73% water. Dehydration can affect your mood and when your mood is off track, you can become more susceptible to pain and irritation. Drinking water throughout the day will help you stay hydrated. Good hydration will help improve your cognitive capabilities, help you stay alert, and thereby help you to stay focused. Good hydration will also improve your energy levels.
- Flush out toxins; Toxins in the body can cause harm. Toxins from food, holiday binge eating or that long weekend of partying and drinking. Drinking plenty of water will help the body carry out toxins by way of sweating and urination.
- Improve your complexion; Imagine a desert landscape, with dry, cracked earth. That’s because t doesn’t get enough rain. Not getting enough water to drink can harm your body, causing you to become dehydrated, which can lead to a myriad of health problems. One of which includes skin issues. The skin, though external, is the body’s largest organ. Not drinking enough water will result in dry, flaky skin, which is prone to wrinkles.
- Prevent headaches; One of the most common side effects of dehydration can present itself as a headache. As the brain is 73% water, water is important to brain functionality. I have experienced this type of headache firsthand, which led to frustration and inactivity. After all, who can focus when your skull feels like it’s getting split in two.
- Stay hydrated; Aim to drink at least half of your body weight in ounces daily. Ex: if you weight two hundred pounds, drink 100 ounces daily.
Reasons to exercise more
- Be happier; Exercise can improve your mood. Exercising increases endorphin production which gives you a happy, euphoric feeling. Being in a state of happiness can lessen stress and anxiety. And that is just one of the benefits of exercise.
- Lose weight; Exercising can help you lose weight as well as help you maintain it. That being said, it helps to choose something that you’re going to stick to or it’s pointless. You can incorporate more movement into your day simply by walking to local, neighborhood stores instead of driving. You can also park a block or two away from your work site, then walk the rest of the way. As we get older, we tend to lose muscle mass and bone density. Exercising can help build and maintain strong muscles and bones, not to mention your energy levels.
- Better quality of life; As we get older, our bodies don’t function as they did in our 20s or 30s. Exercising regularly can help improve your sleep pattern. It can also promote a better sex life.
Workout tips for beginners
Choose a workout you are going to stick to. It can be as simple as turning on the radio and dancing around your living room. Yoga can be a great workout for beginners. Personally, I love it. It helps me reduce stress and it’s a low impact workout, so it’s easy on my joints.
I also love Tai Chi as it’s kind of like a form of fluid meditation. The moves are slow and controlled and they don’t put much strain on your joints.
Stretching exercises can help you relax and improve flexibility.
Benefits of Sun Salutations
One of my favorite yoga moves is Sun Salutation. You can make the move as slow or as fast as you want it. It’s a great way to energize your body first thing in the morning. There are also variations and modifications that you can do, depending on your fitness level and flexibility. It’s a great way to tone and lengthen your muscles.
Making the movements slower is a form of moving meditation that can help unwind the mind and body. It can calm the nervous system and make one feel peaceful and centered. Sun Salutations can also help reduce stress levels.
How to do a Sun Salutation
- Stand in Mountain Pose, bare feet slightly parted and firmly planted of the floor/yoga mat, with palms pressed together in front of the heart chakra. Inhale, exhale.
- Inhale, and sweep arms in an upwards arc, bringing palms together above your head. Slightly lean back and look at thumbs.
- Exhale, releasing arms down and fold forward, face on thighs, hands holding onto your shins. (For tight hamstrings, bend your knees.)
- Inhale and push your fingers down and into the floor. (Overtime, you’ll be able to place your entire palm onto the floor as you gain flexibility). Straighten elbows and lift torso away from your thighs, looking straight ahead.
- Exhale and step your left foot back into a lunge, (as high or as low as your body permits). Center your right knee, making sure it doesn’t go pas your toes.
- Exhale and lift your arms above your head and look forward. Inhale, exhale.
- Exhale and step your right foot back into Down Dog, palms on the floor, knees straight back. (Bend knees for moderation.)
- Inhale and move forward onto hands into Plank Pose. Keep your body a straight as possible, imagine a piece of wood touching your shoulders down to your heels. (Modifications can be done with knees on the floor)
- Exhale, bend elbows and lower into Chaturanga. (Small push-up) Chest and legs parallel to the floor. (Can be modified with knees on the floor.)
- Inhale and bring chest forward into Up Dog, drawing shoulders away from the ears, look straight ahead.
- Exhale back into Down Dog.
- Inhale and step right foot forward and left leg back into a lunge.
- Inhale and sweep arms above the head, exhale and bring palms to the heart, returning to Mountain Pose.
Get off the couch & get moving
- Make a plan. Decide what type of exercise you want to do and stick to it. Switching it up now and then can help you stay consistent.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Make a workout playlist. Listening to music you like while working out will make exercising less of a chore.
- Wear proper workout attire. Yoga pants for yoga, sweat pants for the treadmill, etc.
- Set small achievable and measurable goals, like doing an extra five minutes on the elliptical.
- Be consistent. Track your progress and above all, don’t give up.
- Aim to eat a well-balanced diet. Whenever possible, choose foods that are as close to the way nature made them as possible: fruits, nuts, greens etc.
A little goes a long way
And there you have it. Simple things that you can do to live a healthier lifestyle. Listen to your body and don’t overdo it as that can backfire and lead to injuries. Always do what feels right to your body.